Wiki Modifier Help - emergency surgery

Jckidder

Best answers
A gentleman came in on Friday with a broken bone. The doctor made the decision he needed emergency surgery. On the E/M code we added Modifier 57. He went to surgery on Saturday for a Radius Open Reduction and Fixation. Can I bill the surgery with Modifier TV? Will it be paid more for weekend emergency surgery? Can anyone explain this modifier more or if I am using it correctly, or if there is something I am missing for a weekend emergency surgery? Please Help. TY

A gentleman came in on Friday with a broken bone. The doctor made the decision he needed emergency surgery. On the E/M code we added Modifier 57. He went to surgery on Saturday for a Radius Open Reduction and Fixation. Can I bill the surgery with Modifier TV? Will it be paid more for weekend emergency surgery? Can anyone explain this modifier more or if I am using it correctly, or if there is something I am missing for a weekend emergency surgery? Please Help. TY

I would not use a modifier like that on an emergency surgery. If it was an elective surgery that the patient requested to have done on a weekend for their convenience, then maybe. The insurance carrier is not likely to reimburse more for the surgery because it was done on a weekend, especially since it was an emergent procedure that could not wait for a regular weekday.