• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

MODIFIER PT VS MODIFIER 33 Screening Colonoscopy

Ann Johnson

Best answers
DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD ARTICLE DESCRIBING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MODIFIER PT - screening colonoscopy for Medicare pt switched to diagnostic aka therapeutic colonoscopy where pathology is taken VERSUS MODIFIER 33 preventative service for commercial carrier.

I thought that PT was to be used for Medicare pts and that modifier 33 was to be used for commercial carriers to identify that a screening colonoscopy had been changed to a diagnostic therapeutic colonoscopy with pathology taken.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this issue.

Thanks
ASC Coder

Last edited:

nsteinhauser

Expert
Best answers
I don't have an article handy for the -33 but there's a "MLN Matters" addressing the -PT. It's MLN Matters Number MM7012. You can look them up at www.cms.gov.

Some of our commercial payors don't accept the -33. Every policy is different. Now we're also seeing commercial policies with higher coinsurance %'s for PREVENTIVE services versus diagnostic/therapeutic ... how irrational. After getting used to patients calling and complaining that their colonoscopy wasn't 'coded correctly' because it wasn't coded as a screening (because it wasn't - they had symptoms) - now I have patients calling and complaining that I DID code it as a screening (because it was - there were no symptoms) and they have to pay more because it wasn't a diagnostic/therapeutic procedure.