Wiki MPFL Reconstruction 27422 vs 27427 - The Difference?

cclarson

Guru
Best answers
Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if there is any clear distinction between using 27422 or 27427 for an MPFL reconstruction? Researching online, I just keep seeing all these huge debates on the topic. Some say it depends on the location? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Did you mean 27422 vs 27427? I have always used 27427 as it's an extra-articular ligament reconstruction. 27422 involves the tendons and/or muscles.

Descriptions:
In this procedure, the provider reconstructs the extra–articular ligaments of the knee joint. He may also use a graft to reinforce the repair of the ligament. Extra–articular ligaments are the ligaments located outside the knee joint.
In this procedure, the provider transfers the entire patellar tendon insertion as a bone block to treat a dislocating patella, a condition in which the patella, the knee cap, slips out of its normal position and causes pain and swelling. He also performs realignment of the extensor muscles along with muscle transfer or release to improve the knee joint stability.

You can see by the descriptions that 27427 is the correct choice for this procedure.

Did you mean 27422 vs 27427? I have always used 27427 as it's an extra-articular ligament reconstruction. 27422 involves the tendons and/or muscles.

Descriptions:
In this procedure, the provider reconstructs the extra–articular ligaments of the knee joint. He may also use a graft to reinforce the repair of the ligament. Extra–articular ligaments are the ligaments located outside the knee joint.
In this procedure, the provider transfers the entire patellar tendon insertion as a bone block to treat a dislocating patella, a condition in which the patella, the knee cap, slips out of its normal position and causes pain and swelling. He also performs realignment of the extensor muscles along with muscle transfer or release to improve the knee joint stability.

You can see by the descriptions that 27427 is the correct choice for this procedure.
Thank you so much Kimberly, that really helped. :) (and I corrected my typos, haha)