Wiki Mues for cpt code 26145

cynsteve04@aol.com

Networker
Best answers
Hi
If the Mue has 6 and the next Colum has Mue rationale as 3. Does that mean i can only code 3 for a single date of service for Cpt code 26145? The Dr performed synovectomy on 4 different fingers
MUE Adjudication IndicatorMUE RationaleEffective Date
63 Date of Service Edit: Clinical
Thankyou

Hi
If the Mue has 6 and the next Colum has Mue rationale as 3. Does that mean i can only code 3 for a single date of service for Cpt code 26145? The Dr performed synovectomy on 4 different fingers
Thankyou

26145 has MUE of 6.

BTW - the column headers on what you posted are off by one. Are you using the CMS spreadsheet, or something created in your workplace where perhaps someone accidentally deleted a column header?

This is what your column headers should look like for that code

HCPCS/
CPT Code
Practitioner Services MUE ValuesMUE Adjudication IndicatorMUE Rationale
2614563 Date of Service Edit: ClinicalClinical: Data

You can pull a new copy of the spreadsheet here if need be: https://www.cms.gov/medicare-medica...dicare/medicare-ncci-medically-unlikely-edits

Hi
Thankyou
Agree with the above posts - the MUE is 6 for this code.

Just a reminder, though - MUEs are a payment policy, not a coding guideline. You would code according to documentation, not to the MUE. MUE means 'medically unlikely', it doesn't mean it's impossible to exceed the units in the edit - the edits were created to catch potential errors, but in some cases providers will in fact exceed the units. If the provider's number of units exceeds the MUE value and the MUE rationale is clinical data, as in this case, you can appeal with notes and the denial will usually be reversed.