Multiple Post partum visits after cesarean delivery

candiced

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I have a tricky scenario. OB provider performed delivery only. My Fam Med provide provided antepartum and will provide post partum care. Patient delivered 8/29, returned on 9/8 to see my Fam med provider for abdominal bruising and is scheduled to return back for her 6 week PP visit. Can we bill a separate office visit with mod 24 for the 9/8 visit or will it be included in the 59430 visit in 6 weeks?

Hello, I have a tricky scenario. OB provider performed delivery only. My Fam Med provide provided antepartum and will provide post partum care. Patient delivered 8/29, returned on 9/8 to see my Fam med provider for abdominal bruising and is scheduled to return back for her 6 week PP visit. Can we bill a separate office visit with mod 24 for the 9/8 visit or will it be included in the 59430 visit in 6 weeks?
You can certainly try and bill, but the payer will decide if this complication was significant enough to reimburse separately. Typically a cesarean will result in 2-3 PP visits. The first one will be to check the cesarean wound for healing. The final visit will deal with issues that are the same as those for a vaginal delivery.