Wiki N63 BREAST MASS ICD10 CODES - How to request "OTHER SPECIFIED" be added for Oct 2018

jbaird

Networker
Best answers
N63 BREAST MASS ICD10 CODES - How to request "OTHER SPECIFIED" be added for Oct 2018

Hello,

Does anyone know how to make a request for additional digits to be added to ICD-10 codes?

I had hoped the N63 code group would have an addition this fall to include an additional digit of 8 like what we see on the breast cancer codes to allow for coding overlapping quadrant areas, ie. 12,3,6 or 9 o'clock locations. Breast cancer codes allow for use of C50.8-- for overlapping sites, however this is not available with the breast mass codes & we do receive denials for use of the unspecified quadrant codes. At this point it does not look like the N63 section codes will change Oct 2018.

I'm not sure how to make a request but I agree with you--a new code for overlapping sites seems like it's necessary. For now, until hopefully a new code comes along, we are providing education to radiologists and trying to stress the importance of stating the quadrant, instead of just saying 9 o'clock, 12 etc.

Lindsay Della Vella BS, COC
www.midnightmedicalcoding.com

N63 BREAST MASS ICD10 CODES - other specified

Thank you Lindsay. I appreciate the reply.
We have asked the radiologists to state the quadrant instead of the clock location, but I believe it will remain an issue until a N63.8- code option for overlapping quadrant is added. I have read a few threads that indicate we can code 2 quadrants. For example, for a 9 o'clock right breast mass we could use N63.11 and N63.13. Do you agree with that?

unspecified quadrant for 12, 3, 6, 9 - not covered by Medicare

I'm very interested in the answer to this as well. Our Mgrs said use unspecified, not two quadrants. I disagree with this because it's not covered by Medicare, just one digit off and it FMN. I don't think that's right. There needs to be a decision or official guideline for this. If there are guidelines for breast CA with regard to quadrants, it should also apply to lump/mass breast quadrants.