Wiki NAS conditions

valleycoder

Expert
Best answers
Hi all,

Would you consider NAS scoring conditions to be withdrawal symptoms if the provider is stating "NAS scores range from 3-8 for tremors, increased tone and excessive suck". I'm trying to determine if these are withdrawal symptoms to support P96.1.

Thanks!

I was trained to only use P96.1 once morphine has been initiated. I have nothing more to offer on the subject as the only guidance I can get on this subject comes from what other coders say to do were I am employed (hospital). I cannot find anything on newborns with NAS scoring to supporting coding dx or procedures. Not even here on the AAPC forum.

Hi all,

Would you consider NAS scoring conditions to be withdrawal symptoms if the provider is stating "NAS scores range from 3-8 for tremors, increased tone and excessive suck". I'm trying to determine if these are withdrawal symptoms to support P96.1.

Thanks!
I would not assign P96.1 without the physician documenting the diagnosis of neonatal abstinence syndrome or withdrawal. I would ask the physician to state a diagnosis in the record because there are other reasons a child may have symptoms similar to NAS.

The NAS score is used to determine if pharmalogical therapy is needed not whether the child has neonatal abstinence syndrome.
AAP Guidelines - Drug therapy is indicated to relieve moderate to severe signs of NAS and to prevent complications such as fever, weight loss, and seizures if an infant does not respond to a committed program of non-pharmacologic support.

However, if there is no definitive diagnosis of NAS is stated, symptoms could be report (e.g., tremors) in addition newborn affected by maternal use of opiates (assuming documented). I hope that is helpful. Cindy