Wiki Need clarification of responsibility of professional and technical components on written report

TammyHF

Guru
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Can you tell me, when a histotech cuts a tissue sample, puts the sample on slides and then writes a report of findings, would that be considered part of the technical or professional component?

Thank you,

The professional component of a charge covers the cost of the physician’s professional services only. Grossing the specimen, cutting the tissue, putting the sample on the slides and staining are part of the technical component. The tricky part is writing the report of findings, while a histotech may write the report, the physician (usually a pathologist) will sign off on the findings. If there are no division of the cost associated with the service then you can bill globally.

My lab will bill globally when the pathologist is on staff, but if the pathologist is not part of the staff we will be for the TC only.
Hope this helps,
Missy

The professional component of a charge covers the cost of the physician’s professional services only. Grossing the specimen, cutting the tissue, putting the sample on the slides and staining are part of the technical component. The tricky part is writing the report of findings, while a histotech may write the report, the physician (usually a pathologist) will sign off on the findings. If there are no division of the cost associated with the service then you can bill globally.

My lab will bill globally when the pathologist is on staff, but if the pathologist is not part of the staff we will be for the TC only.
Hope this helps,
Missy

I our lab we only do the technical component preparing the pathology slides and send the slides to the pathologist to read. Our histotech never written the grossing report before. We now have a new pathologist who wants the grossing report written for him and our office doesn't feel that is part of the technical component but the responsibility of the professional component. Is there a reference I can give my supervisor for clarification.

Thank you,