Wiki need help with cath coding

bhargavi

Guru
Best answers
After obtaining informed consent, the patient was prepped and draped in sterile fashion.  A 6 French glide sheath/sheath was inserted in the right radial artery.  Radial cocktail consisting of 5 mg of verapamil and 200 mg of nitroglycerin was administered via right radial artery sheath to prevent radial artery spasm.  Attempted delivering the catheter and wire through the right subclavian but due to presence of bovine arch, diagnostic catheter and wire manipulation was difficult.  Therefore, 6 French right common femoral artery access was obtained.  A 6 French Judkins left and right coronary catheters was used for left and right coronary angiography.  Iliofemoral angiography revealed presence of sheath in the common femoral artery.  A mynx closure device was used to close the right common femoral artery access site.  TR band was placed on right radial artery access site for patent hemostasis.

I attest that moderate conscious sedation was provided under my direct supervision with the sedation trained nurse using 1 mg of intravenous Versed and 50 mcg of fentanyl to sedate the patient.  Start time 11:48 AM and end time was 12:06 PM.  There were no complications.  See nurse's sedation sheet, for complete pre-and post service details.
Hemodynamics:

The left ventricular end diastolic pressure was 35 mmHg. The aortic pressure was 183/92 mmHg.

Coronary Angiography:

Right coronary artery is a large-caliber co-dominant vessel with mild proximal disease, patent mid segment and patent distal vessel.  RPDA is a medium to large caliber vessel luminal irregularities.

Left Main coronary artery is of large caliber and appears to be patent.

Left anterior descending is a large caliber vessel with patent proximal segment, mid 30 to 40% stenosis, patent distal segment.  There are 3 small diagonal branches with luminal irregularities.

Left circumflex is a large-caliber codominant vessel with patent proximal, mid, and distal segment.  Obtuse marginal 1 is a large caliber vessel with luminal irregularities.  Obtuse marginal 2 is a medium to large caliber vessel luminal irregularities.  Obtuse marginal 3 is a large caliber vessel with patent proximal segment, mild mid vessel disease, patent distal segment.  LPL is a medium caliber vessel luminal irregularities.

Left ventriculogram: Left ventricular cavity was entered using 6 French Tiger catheter and LVEDP was measured at 35 mmHg.

Right subclavian angiography revealed patent subclavian artery without evidence of aneurysm or stenosis.

The patient was then transferred to the recovery area in stable condition:
thanks in advance

should I do 93458, 36216 or 93459? since rt subclavian angio done*

I'm not sure I would code anything for the subclavian angiography. Unless there is additional information not presented in the question, I'm thinking the right subclavian angiography was roadmapping/guidance (when they first attempt the radial approach they state that they tried to navigate through the right subclavian and into the arch, but it was difficult." I suspect the findings he gives of the right subclavian were guiding/roadmapping shots during that part of the case to try to navigate the wire/catheter through the artery. A subclavian angiogram alone wouldn't constitute bypass graft angiography (they sometimes selectively catheterize the IMA off the subclavian, but that is not documented either). So again, unless there are details that weren't included in the post that support the medical necessity of a right subclavian angiogram, I would consider this bundled as a guiding/roadmapping shot.

I hope that helps - have a great night!

Kim
www.codingmastery.com

When a LHC with CORS is done and they mention subclavian angio, you would code 93459. Maybe this attachment will help. I've had it for a few years.

Attachments

• cpt assist 12_11_1.pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 15
I agree with Kim on this case. Initial access was the radial artery so everything in the right arm is with the puncture. If imaging of subclavian was for possible bypass graft, the you use 93455 for coronary angio with bypass grafts and 93459 for LHC with bypass grafts.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC