Wiki Need help with E code- please

micki127

Guru
Best answers
Hello,

I am stuck on a place of occurence E code. Can you suggest which E code is appropriate for a work injury that happened at a healthcare building which is not a hospital . Would it be E849.6?

Thank you,
Michelle

Thank You

I appreciate your help. Can I ask another question. I was told that I can only use E codes on the E/M. Is that true or can I use the E codes with the other procedures that are being billed out?

Last edited:
I appreciate your help. Can I ask another question. I was told that I can only use E codes on the E/M. Is that true or can I use the E codes with the other procedures that are being billed out?

E codes can be used with other CPT codes as well, not just E/M codes. E codes should only be used during an initial visit/treatment unless you are using 'late effects' E codes for subsequent visits. It can also never be a principal diagnosis.

E codes can be used with other CPT codes as well, not just E/M codes. E codes should only be used during an initial visit/treatment unless you are using 'late effects' E codes for subsequent visits. It can also never be a principal diagnosis.

For ICD-10 CM the mechanism of injury external code can and should be attached to each encounter with the appropriate A, D , or S seventh character.