Wiki Need validation for my answer

ollielooya

True Blue
Best answers
Dr. is treating MCR patient who resides in an inpatient rehab facility. She comes to him specifically for an injection with US guidance. If documentation supports the EM code, would it be billed out as POS 11? Then the US would be billed as 76942-26 for the professional component to MCR, and the 76942-TC would be billed out to the rehab facility, correct? This of course, is all subject to the consolidated billing rules which requires that the dr. has a working relationship establishment with the inpatient rehab facility? I'm pretty sure this is what should be done, but not to the point that I can say, "Thus saith...."

So, any others have comments or wisdom to share?

The place of service is where the physician actually sees the patient. If they see the patient in the office you bill 11 but if the dr goes to the rehab you bill I/P rehab place of service.

Thank you so much for your input into my first question. Can you dialogue further and offer thoughts to the other two questions in regards to whether the consolidated billing rules apply in this case? Just trying to be sure about all components....Thanks!

The TC component is only billable by a facility if the pt has the actual service AT the facility, In this case this would not be billed.

There is a transmittal that states the POS is to be where the patient is registered as. If the patient is a registered inpatient at a rehab clinic then even though they come to the physician office for the service the POS would be the rehab facility.