Wiki Needing some help on Pain Management case

karotwo

Contributor
Best answers
First place -- I am new to pain management -like really new
My provider has coded this note as 64493,LT-64494,LT-64495,LT. He does not address the dorsal block. Insurance (UHC medicare advantage) paid 93 and 94 but not the 95 (This decision was based on a Local Coverage Determination (LCD). An LCD provides a guide to assist in determining whether a particular item or service is covered. A copy of this policy is available at www.cms.gov/mcd, or if you do not have web access, you may contact the contractor to request a copy of the LCD.)
I've looked these up but an getting very confused. He states his coding is "good"
I just need some direction
Operative Details:
Operative Details:
· Operative Details
PreOp Diagnosis: Lumbar Spondylosis without Myelopathy
Post-Op Diagnosis: Lumbar Spondylosis without Myelopathy
Procedure: Left Diagnostic L2, 3, 4 Medial Branch and L5 Dorsal Ramus Block
Attending: Dr. Jameson
Injectate: 4cc 0.25% bupivacaine

History reviewed with patient. After rediscussion of procedure with the patient, including its risks, benefits and outcome data, possibility of no effect and increased pain, informed consent was obtained verbally and in writing and decision was made to proceed. Patient denies antibiotics, history of bleeding tendencies or evidence of recent infections.

Patient was placed on the fluoroscopy table in the prone position. The back was prepped and draped in the usual sterile fashion and sterile technique was adhered to during the entire procedure. Fluoroscopy was utilized to confirm needle and injectate localization. Upper vertebral body was identified in the AP view and then a slight oblique view was obtained to optimize visualization of junction of superior articular process and transverse process.

L2, 3, 4 medial branches performed simultaneously. Using fluoroscopy the superior border of the transverse process at its most medial aspect was identified and infiltrated with 1% lidocaine using a 25G needle. A 25G 3.5" spinal needle was then advanced incrementally under radiographic guidance to the superior border of the transverse process at its most medial aspect and bevels turned caudad.

L5 dorsal ramus targeted by placing the needle at the superomedial junction border of the sacral ala.

Fluoroscopy views were obtained to confirm the needle tip to be at the proper depth and not encroaching into the respective foramen. Injectate was given (1cc per level). There was no evidence of IV or CSF placement, or paresthesias.

The needles were removed, patient's back was washed, dried and dressing was applied. Patient tolerated the procedure well without complications.

I'm not clear on what your exact question is here but I've come up with 2 possible questions that I've answered below.

Is one of your questions why wasn't 64495-LT covered by Medicare? If so Novitas LCA A56670 Billing & Coding Facet Joint Interventions for Pain Management, which is the local MAC for Texas, only 2 level injections are allowed per DOS. So, they allowed 64493-LT as the first level and 64494-LT as the second level, but the third level 64495-LT is not covered per the LCA except on appeal if the documentation supports the medical necessity of the third level injection. It specifically states:

1697147610363.png

If you're also questioning, why he didn't bill for the L5 Dorsal Ramus block it appears that there is an NCCI edit between 64493 & 64451 and 64494 & 64451 and a modifier cannot override the edits. While 64451 is listed as the primary procedure according to the edit, your provider may've chosen not to bill 64451 in favor of being about to bill 2 procedures with 64493 & 64494 as the reimbursement for the 2 procedures would be better when combined compared to billing the single primary procedure with 64451.

If your question is something else please specify what you need help with in this thread.

Also, you might ask your provider why he didn't code/bill the L5 Dorsal Ramus block, which may be because he has learned he cannot bill 64493, 64494 & 64451 all on the same DOS and be reimbursed and the patient is unlikely to come back for a separate session for the 64451 and your provider is just maximizing his reimbursement by billing this way.

I have nothing to add to the answer given except that you must review the entire LCD and LCA for facet joint interventions. Coverage of blocks is restricted to diagnostic blocks, which should be reported with modifier KX. There are exceptions that allow therapeutic blocks, but the provider will need to show that the patient is not a candidate for RFA.

I am not affiliated with the link below but have attended courses with this group. If you are going to be doing physiatry/pain management routinely, this would really help you. Especially being brand new. It can be very confusing and other coders/doctors and others can make you second guess yourself. I agree with the advice above.