Wiki Nephrology billing- dialysis

Best answers
Good afternoon! I wanted to get some clarification on dialysis billing for an outpatient and Inpatient facilities. I have the understanding that billing the training CPT code (90989 & 90993) is to only be billed once. Is this correct? Also, you are not able to bill and office code along with the dialysis code unless there is another concern/issue other than the dialysis. I am trying to ensure we are providing the correct billing for these dialysis patients. Any insight anyone would like to share on dialysis billing would be greatly appreciated.

90989 - Dialysis training, patient, including helper where applicable, any mode, completed course
90993 - Dialysis training, patient, including helper where applicable, any mode, course not completed, per training session

So it appears that 90989 is once, or 90993 is billed until the training is completed.

If you're not performing an E&M service on the same day as dialysis, you would not bill and E&M code. Alot of people think of E&M as "any office visit", but walking in the door is not what its about.

If a provider see the patient and performs dialysis the same day (in-patient) can he bill a subsequent hospital visit and dialysis the same day? If he cannot bill the E&M and dialysis same day - does he get the choose to bill ad E&M and not dialysis?

Also, does anyone know of any good reliable resources for dialysis billing?