Wiki Neuropsych Tech

shanamarie

Guru
Best answers
Does a neuropsych tech have to be certified? Wondering what credentials you need to have when billing 96138 and 96139? Can this be performed by a NP or PA?

In the case of these codes, it means a person trained to administer the tests, not a qualified, licensed professional or a computer (the other choices). There are tests that can be administered by an intelligent person that is not a licensed psychologist or similar. That is what this code is for.

There are insurance companies that will not pay for any type of psych testing unless the provider is designated as a testing provider in their (the insurance company's) system. I once worked for a psychiatrist (MD) who was a bit, shall we say, LIVID, that he could not do psych testing on a patient but a psychologist (PhD) could. So in the case of licensed professional to administer and score tests, it needs to be someone with special training in psych (or neuropsych) testing, and they need to be so designated, if necessary, with the insurance company. If not, then your choice is computer or technician (any other person).

In the case of these codes, it means a person trained to administer the tests, not a qualified, licensed professional or a computer (the other choices). There are tests that can be administered by an intelligent person that is not a licensed psychologist or similar. That is what this code is for.

There are insurance companies that will not pay for any type of psych testing unless the provider is designated as a testing provider in their (the insurance company's) system. I once worked for a psychiatrist (MD) who was a bit, shall we say, LIVID, that he could not do psych testing on a patient but a psychologist (PhD) could. So in the case of licensed professional to administer and score tests, it needs to be someone with special training in psych (or neuropsych) testing, and they need to be so designated, if necessary, with the insurance company. If not, then your choice is computer or technician (any other person).
Thank you! I appreciate the response.