Wiki New Covid ICD-10

lisammy

Guru
Best answers
I have found conflicting articles with guidance on the use of the new ICD10 immunization status codes. Are they to be used on every patient or just when the visit is centered around COVID? Are they to be used on outpt/office visits also or just Inpatient hospital visits? I found one article that directed you to use it on discharge. How is everyone else using these? TIA

Think of it more of a status code for data collection. If documentation is there I am capturing it.

With the publication of the Final Rule for the inpatient prospective payment system (IPPS) for fiscal year 2022, CMS announced that beginning April 1, 2022, ICD-10-CM/PCS code updates will occur twice a year every April 1 and October 1. For this year, there is a limited code release of 3 new ICD-10-CM codes and 9 new ICD-10-PCS codes. Several of these code changes are related to COVID-19.

ICD-10-CM Updates
Code Z28.3, Underimmunization status, is being expanded to allow for reporting patients who are either unvaccinated or partially vaccinated for COVID-19.

Z28.310
Unvaccinated for COVID-19
Z28.311
Partially vaccinated for COVID-19
Z28.39
Other underimmunization status
These codes include important instructional notes in the Tabular List. Specifically, these codes are not to be used for individuals who are not eligible for the COVID-19 vaccines, as determined by the healthcare provider. This includes patients with medical exemptions.
Here are the guidelines pg 31 update from 04/01/22

The ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting
have also been updated, effective April1, 2022, to include instruction for assigning these codes.
These guidelines, which appear on page 31,define partially vaccinated according to the CDC’s definition.
None of these new codes are designated as a major complication or comorbidity (MCC) or complication or comorbidity (CC).

(n)Underimmunization for COVID-19 Status
Code Z28.310, Unvaccinated for COVID-19, may be assigned when the patient has not received at least one dose of any COVID-19 vaccine.
Code Z28.311, Partially vaccinated for COVID-19, may be assigned when the patient has received at least one dose of a multi-dose COVID-19 vaccine regimen, but has not received the full set of doses necessary to meet the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) definition of “fully vaccinated” in place at the time of the encounter.
For information, visit the CDC’s website https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/.

Thank you but I have a quick question. Does the MD have to document that the patient is either vaccinated, partially vaccinated or unvaccinated or can we take it from other clinicians such as the nurses, admission profile, ER history etc...I work in an Hospital so this is geared towards Facility coding, Inpatient and Outpatient claims.

Thank you in advance for your response
Jane Triano