Wiki New CPC-A, wondering how to get started

Best answers
Hello! I am a licensed cosmetologist of 15 years who decided to do a career switch after covid and having my first child! I wanted at home work that I could grow in and found medical billing and coding. I spoke with a few schools and chose AAPC for my courses. Having a newborn and doing online courses while still doing hair wasn't my best idea but I made it through and got my CPC-A a few months ago. To be honest I did not feel as prepared as I thought I would upon completion of the course. I am wondering what to do next...? I see a lot of people suggesting practicode, however, that is an additional cost and I already invested a lot in this from savings and I really would like to start work ASAP and remove the A with experience and have an income. I was just wondering what jobs I should be looking for specifically with a CPC-A certification or if i should figure out a way to pay for practicode...? Also should I invest in codify? Any information is greatly appreciated!

I would look into internships at your local hospitals. They do offer them but during certain times of the year and you have to be quick. I would call and get all the information to get your application ready to submit that day. On the AAPC website under Xtern Project they have a list of organizations that post their internships by state. I got lucky on Indeed's website and I found someone who was willing take on a novice biller. Hope this helps!

Hello! I am a licensed cosmetologist of 15 years who decided to do a career switch after covid and having my first child! I wanted at home work that I could grow in and found medical billing and coding. I spoke with a few schools and chose AAPC for my courses. Having a newborn and doing online courses while still doing hair wasn't my best idea but I made it through and got my CPC-A a few months ago. To be honest I did not feel as prepared as I thought I would upon completion of the course. I am wondering what to do next...? I see a lot of people suggesting practicode, however, that is an additional cost and I already invested a lot in this from savings and I really would like to start work ASAP and remove the A with experience and have an income. I was just wondering what jobs I should be looking for specifically with a CPC-A certification or if i should figure out a way to pay for practicode...? Also should I invest in codify? Any information is greatly appreciated!
Congratulations on your new certification! I would try HCC coding or risk adjustment coding (pretty much the same thing). Sometimes they are short assignments with training, and some of the companies do accept CPC-A's. Also, trauma registries may have openings for beginner coders. That is how I did it, many moons ago. Best of luck!