Wiki New JZ modifier

Best answers
I need help understanding the JZ modifier (went into effect 07/01/2023). I have a Fact sheet from the AAO and it is confusing me and maybe I am overthinking it. The Fact Sheet says JZ is to be used on all claims that bill for drugs supplied as single-dose vials. Then it says report JZ modifier when the actual dose of the drug from a single-dose vial is less than the billing unit based on the HCPCS descriptor. Our office does lots of Avastin and Eylea injects, both are single dose so my thinking is that I would use the JZ. If anyone has any insight I would really appreciate it.

Yes, you would use JZ on any Avastin, Eylea, Lucentis, etc because you are administering the entire vial/dose.
JZ - Zero drug amount discarded/not administered to any patient

this is opposed to using JW, discarded/wasted drug, for medical botox as an example (botox is billed with 2 lines, one line administered units, second line is discarded units) because botox comes in vials that can be 50 or 100 units, which may not be used in its entirety before it expires & cannot be shared among patients.
JW - Drug amount discarded/not administered to any patient