Wiki New pt telehealth ?

RebeccaB

Guru
Best answers
Hi everyone, telehealth is completely new to our office (urology) and I have read lots of info on it, however, I am still not clear on how the exam part of the visit gets documented or is it just based on the time spent with the patient ?
Any help/info much appreciated
Thanks
Rebecca
Urology Associates

Telehealth exams are VERY limited. You might be able to get limited constitutional or psych or maybe even skin, but you certainly can't do GI, GU, CV, lymph, etc. The bulk of these exams are being billed based on time, particularly for new patients. For your established patients, if hx & MDM is well documented, you can bill based on those instead.
Since counseling/co-ordination of care is basically 99% of the time of these telehealth visits, it meets the criteria to bill on time. I have instructed my providers to document the time and that it was >50% in counseling on all telehealth visits. In the rare instance I can get a higher level (for established pt) based on hx & MDM, I would then bill on those components.

Thanks for the info..its what I was thinking, but have read and heard so many different things in the last few days I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overthinking and missing something

Comercial is written out in black and white. On NYS workers' compensation is there any tele medicine codes or is it safer to CPT code and just add mod 95?