Wiki Newbie, Externships, Remote Work and where to start

Best answers
I have my CMAA and will be sitting for my CPC Exam next month. (I have nearly 2 decades of Nursing experience, but physically can't do that work any longer.)

I've heard some stuff about Externships and how they can provide great experience. But of course, you have to find your own offices/companies that may provide you with that unpaid-intern-like job. Has anyone done an Externship? I have no idea where to even start looking for Externship potentials: Hospital? Physician office? a medical specialty office? And which department do you approach? My education course is ready and willing to help me finalize the externship, but I have to get it started and find the place(s) before they do anything.

Covid-19 has turned everything upside down. So many places want "experienced" coders because they can (supposedly) work remote more easily. As a New Coder with no experience outside of practice... I would think it is easier to get started and comfortable billing and/or coding in an office setting, as you have coworkers nearby to whom you can ask questions, when confused or just not confident of something. In Office or Remote, we don't know what percentage of claims are being audited before being sent out; who is (if anyone) triple checking a new employee's work? Does a New Coder who is getting a Remote Position actually getting a decent on-boarding experience? And does having Externship Experience make a difference to obtaining your 1st coding job?

And just to get it off my mind... As the old adage goes - it's easier to get hired if you're already working
Being a New Coder, but one with a new CMAA (Certified Medical Administrative Assistant) credential... do you think it might be easier to move to a Coding Job if I was already in-house as an MAA?

I had to do an externship with Baker College. I also had to find my own. It wasn't easy at all. All I did was email and call places and check this site. I called any company that had something to do with Medical. Check DME places, dentist offices anywhere. Google billing companies also. Also check the clearing houses. like zirmed, Allscripts, Change Health care , If you can find an email address for an HR Department or a Phone number use it. I would got for a billing/payment posting position as far as an externship goes also. They are easier to find . Good Luck.