Wiki NEWBIE...seeking prof. advice

Brandy0618

Guru
Best answers
I am a certified coder....but an infant with billing. Could someone please help me with the following question?

On the 1500 claim form, I am handwriting the form to send in as we have had a nightmare with a secondary and primary scenerio. The Secondary paid first in error.....i am now filing with primary. Do I still list the primary in 1a. and secondary in 9. eventhough the secondary paid first? In addition....do I write in the amount that secondary paid in blk 29. ? Just wondering if 29. is only reserved for primary payment? But in this case secondary pd first. Thank you so much for any help...Brandy:cool:

Be careful with handwritten claims, some insurances with only accept typed claims.

Even if the secondary ins paid as primary, you still have to bill the correct primary insurance because you'll need the primary EOB to bill the secondary insurance. Once the 2nd ins processes the claim they will either issue an additional payment, if they previously paid less, or they will request a refund of however much they overpaid.

Yes, primary ins goes in box 1 & 2ndry in box 9. Write 0.00 In box 29 & the amt in box 30 will match amt in box 28.

When ready to send to 2nd ins primary is in box 9 & 2ndry in box 1. The amt prime Ins pd goes in box 29 & difference between box 28 & 29 goes in box 30 (bx 28 - bx 29 = bx 30). Make sure in bx 19 you write "corrected claim".

Hope this helps (^^)

Thank you Jennifer... I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to respond and help me. I am thankful. Have a SUPER WEEK...Brandy

No insurance co that I know of will accept a hand written claim (speaking from 15 years of experience in billing). What billing software are you using? I suggest voiding/deleting the initial payment that you received from the wrong payer then changing the order of the insurance companies in your demographic screen then submitting the claim electronically to the primary payer. Once the primary pays, either mail a refund check to the payer that paid primary in error. But some insurances have their own forms that they want you to fill out and mail in with the refund check. And even then, some insurances do "take backs" electronically, like Medicare, BCBS, BCN, etc... I hope this helps