Wiki Nexplanon Removal

Please provide a description of the procedure performed (ie, providers notes) so we can better help you with this.
HPI - The patient presents today for Nexplanon removal. She has two devices in place in her left arm. She was previously counseled, and all questions have been answered to her satisfaction.

Procedure Documentation -
Risks, benefits, indications and alternatives for the procedure were reviewed with the patient. All questions were answered. Informed consent was obtained. Post-care instructions were given to the patient.

Patient desires the removal of the device and was informed fertility will resume.

The insertion site was identified, and cleaned with Betadine. Local anesthesia was achieved with both topical anesthetic and Lidocaine 1% with Epi. A scalpel was used to incise the skin over the implant's distal end of the rod and was milked toward skin incision. A small hemostat was used to grasp and remove the implant.

A standard dressing was then applied over the insertion site. A pressure bandage was also applied.

The patient was instructed to remove the pressure dressing in 24 hours.

The patient tolerated the procedure well. She was monitored per protocol and discharged home after meeting criteria.

Last edited:
does anyone know how to charge for a removal and insertion and removal again in the same visit because she had numbness from hitting a nerve when they reinserted the new one so immediately removed the new one.

also I was told you could get reimbursement from the manufacturer for the Nexplanon and told to charge the device to insurance. but i would think if we're getting reimbursed from the manufacturer not to charge insurance because wouldn't that be double dipping?

does anyone know how to charge for a removal and insertion and removal again in the same visit because she had numbness from hitting a nerve when they reinserted the new one so immediately removed the new one.

also I was told you could get reimbursement from the manufacturer for the Nexplanon and told to charge the device to insurance. but i would think if we're getting reimbursed from the manufacturer not to charge insurance because wouldn't that be double dipping?
I would report 11983 with a modifier -22 if the removal time was significant. If is was just slipped in and immediately slipped out I think I would report 11983 with no modifier. If you are being reimbursed by the manufacturer you should not be billing insurance. But you could bill insurance, and if they refuse to pay, contact the manufacturer.

I would report 11983 with a modifier -22 if the removal time was significant. If is was just slipped in and immediately slipped out I think I would report 11983 with no modifier. If you are being reimbursed by the manufacturer you should not be billing insurance. But you could bill insurance, and if they refuse to pay, contact the manufacturer.
Thank you a ton as always!