Wiki Non Chemo Infusions

ahager

Best answers
We have a descrepancy on how to bill! We do mini infusions very rarely go over 1 hr.
The nurse hangs a back of saline and then hangs her 1 med. Very seldom do they hang bags. After s hort period of time she injects meds into the port. she may inject 2-3 diffetent meds. So do we bill:
96360 Initial hour
Initial drug infused
Second drug infused
96374 IV initial push (1 unit)
Drug for initial
96375 Sub pushes each (3 units)
Drug !
Drug 2
Drug 3

Thanks

We have a descrepancy on how to bill! We do mini infusions very rarely go over 1 hr.
The nurse hangs a back of saline and then hangs her 1 med. Very seldom do they hang bags. After s hort period of time she injects meds into the port. she may inject 2-3 diffetent meds. So do we bill:
96360 Initial hour
Initial drug infused
Second drug infused
96374 IV initial push (1 unit)
Drug for initial
96375 Sub pushes each (3 units)
Drug !
Drug 2
Drug 3

Thanks
When you say Nurse hangs bag of Saline and then Hangs her 1 drug,
she is running them at the same time Correct?

If so , you need to charge for the Drug not Hydration which would be
96365 which is initial up to one hour over 31 mins.

96375 x 3 would be correct for the 1st push

If i'm wrong about this, please someone feel free to correct thanks:cool:

I do not have my books with me but... you would not charge hydration when the purpose of the saline is just a facilitator. Also remember you cannot charge more than 1 initial service for any one patient. So you can have initial IV infusion (not hydration) with subsequent pushes. I do not recall if there is a code for IV piggyback but if there is then that code would go first. I hope this helps.

I do not have my books with me but... you would not charge hydration when the purpose of the saline is just a facilitator. Also remember you cannot charge more than 1 initial service for any one patient. So you can have initial IV infusion (not hydration) with subsequent pushes. I do not recall if there is a code for IV piggyback but if there is then that code would go first. I hope this helps.

Debra, i'm glad to see the rule about hydration running at the same time is still the same. I had wondered if that had changed in the last year or not !.
Piggy Backs are still on the time basis. Its when they run over 10 hrs, that i belive they are automaticly turned into a Pump Code, which i cant remmember off the top of my Head at the moment ! :eek: