Wiki Non covered category III atherectomy procedure codes

Chlrtrep

Best answers
I work in hospital and we have a physician who is frequently using atherectomy on renal arteries and Iliacs. These are non covered procedures codes for Medicare patients. Our Local MAC WPS considers these codes to be experiemental and will deny any claims with these code on them regardless of what other procedures are performed. No ABN’s are signed since these are not preplanned procedures. Since documentation clearly is stating the atherectomy procedure is being performed the procedure is being coded and billed. Due to these procedures being denied and required to be written off our boss is suggesting we do not code the atherectomy portion if other procedures are performed. I feel uncomfortable with this direction and feel this may be unethical. Is there any documentation that states not to code non covered procedures? I would appreciate your thoughts.

0234T TRANSLUMINAL PERIPHERAL ATHERECTOMY, OPEN OR PERCUTANEOUS, INCLUDING RADIOLOGICAL SUPERVISION AND INTERPRETATION; RENAL ARTERY
0235T TRANSLUMINAL PERIPHERAL ATHERECTOMY, OPEN OR PERCUTANEOUS, INCLUDING RADIOLOGICAL SUPERVISION AND INTERPRETATION; VISCERAL ARTERY (EXCEPT RENAL), EACH VESSEL
0236T TRANSLUMINAL PERIPHERAL ATHERECTOMY, OPEN OR PERCUTANEOUS, INCLUDING RADIOLOGICAL SUPERVISION AND INTERPRETATION; ABDOMINAL AORTA
0237T TRANSLUMINAL PERIPHERAL ATHERECTOMY, OPEN OR PERCUTANEOUS, INCLUDING RADIOLOGICAL SUPERVISION AND INTERPRETATION; BRACHIOCEPHALIC TRUNK AND BRANCHES, EACH VESSEL
0238T TRANSLUMINAL PERIPHERAL ATHERECTOMY, OPEN OR PERCUTANEOUS, INCLUDING RADIOLOGICAL SUPERVISION AND INTERPRETATION; ILIAC ARTERY, EACH VESSEL
0253T INSERTION OF ANTERIOR SEGMENT AQUEOUS DRAINAGE DEVICE, WITHOUT EXTRAOCULAR RESERVOIR, INTERNAL APPROACH, INTO THE SUPRACHOROIDAL SPACE