Wiki Noncertified vs Certified

sWold1437

Contributor
Best answers
I am a CPC-A, having been coding for a year. Due to finances (or the lack thereof), I have learned today I'm being replaced by the people who create the vouchers (enter the codes directly onto the bills). These people are not certified, have had no formal training - they don't even check the reports to verify, check the E&M....their job was to create the vouchers and get the providers' orders in there. As coders, these vouchers would come before us and on 5 out of 10 we make corrections, add modifiers, back out codes, add codes. Is anyone else experiencing this? They are just going to drop the bills come what may and they think that is acceptable.

That will more than likely come back to haunt your employer. Dropping bills and having many errors or inaccurate coding is definitely going to flag them and open them up to audits... That's really risky.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I agree with the previous poster. It sounds like they are trying to save money and cut corners. Unfortunately, they are setting themselves up to be audited and eventually will have to pay fines. Take this opportunity, unfortunate as it may be, and move on to something better! Good luck to you!!

That is called "penny wise, pound foolish" on your provider's part. Having worked for similar administrators who were clueless and reckless with the billing for the doctors (who just let the administrator run amuck), I left when my repeated advice was disregarded. When the blowback came, everyone seemed surprised that the administrator and her cronies had been embezzling large amounts of funds.

I've raised my concerns and what I have been told is that everyone has an opinion on how to code and who to listen to? My response was you listen to the people who have put in the $ and the time to be credentialed and maintain that credentialing. What is so bothersome is these people they have put into place to enter the charges and directly drop the bills - they keep e-mailing/calling us asking us how to code different scenarios. Well....you know what's going to happen there......:D

So you no longer work there and yet the ones that replaced you call to have you tell them how to do the job you use to do? Do I have this correct? Do you know how to give a quote for,consult charges? I am not trying to be flip on this but you cannot allow them to take advantage of your knowledge, skills, and and good nature.

We're still here...for now....but we keep getting e-mails/calls from these poor people who originally were hired to input the charges (the providers 'click' off the level they think it is, labs, etc), and these people create the vouchers from that information and add the codes - but it has been taken one step further. They want to drop the bills directly without these vouchers going before the actual coders. They have taken no formal coding training but they "plan" to. We have a whole office of experienced, credentialed coders but we have people with no credentials whatsoever calling the shots.

The plan is to have them enter the charges and drop the bills and totally cut us.....but they us to teach them what to do. I was just wondering if this might be the latest trend in the industry to save money and if anyone else was experiencing this. Our good nature is done....

This is not uncommon. A previous employer (after I left) did something similar, and shipped jobs to India. The revenue dropped like a rock, and customers (it was a billing service) left in droves. :rolleyes:. Within a year they reversed the decision to outsource and attempted to recover, however it was too late. Many of the coders went back, however demanded significantly higher wages and the company folded within 3 years.

Everyone lost in this case.