Wiki Normal Delivery Vs Induced for a Medical Condition

Best answers
Hello, I don't know much about OB coding and was wondering if anyone can help me with this question our midwife has:
how can you indicate that the labor and delivery were totally normal, but she was induced for a medical condition. It was a pregnancy complication, but her labor was normal and her delivery was normal?
She wants to use diagnosis O80 which to my understanding is a single diagnosis code and is not to be used with any other codes from chapter 15, and O26.613 Liver and biliary tract disorders in pregnancy, third trimester. Whats the appropriate diagnosis to use in this situation?

Hello, I don't know much about OB coding and was wondering if anyone can help me with this question our midwife has:
how can you indicate that the labor and delivery were totally normal, but she was induced for a medical condition. It was a pregnancy complication, but her labor was normal and her delivery was normal?
She wants to use diagnosis O80 which to my understanding is a single diagnosis code and is not to be used with any other codes from chapter 15, and O26.613 Liver and biliary tract disorders in pregnancy, third trimester. Whats the appropriate diagnosis to use in this situation?

I'm not an OB/GYN coder, but I do agree that O80 isn't appropriate here. You can't use that with other codes from chapter 15.

Wouldn't it make more sense to use O26.62 (Liver and biliary tract disorders in childbirth)? I'm not sure why she wants to add the third trimester code to the delivery, when a delivery code exists.

(We have a few OB/GYN coders who frequent the forum, so hopefully they chime in and give their expertise. I am not an expert in this area.)

Also don't forget that with the O26.- codes, you'll need to add the diagnosis code for the specific condition too.