Wiki Not sure how to handle this---Please help!

coder25

Guru
Best answers
Hello all,

We have a PA-C who sees patients on a daily basis. We perform bariatric surgeries in addition to general surgery.

My question is this, as far as incidental billing goes...if the PA sees a patient of another doc in the practice, is it still considered incidental or should I be billing out under her numbers???

One of our physicians does not do the bariatric surgery. It is with this doctor that I am having doubts as to whether or not it really can be considered incidental to. He is in the office, himself, doing office hours along side of her, but occasionally she has been seeing the bariatric patients. If she has a question about one of the patients and the other doctor cannot help her (one in the office), she does speak with the physician (who cares for the patient) by telephone and does document this in her notes.

Is this incidental to or should I be billing this out under her number?????

Thanks for the help!

I'm wondering if the patient's insurance might have to be considered before you'd know whether or not you can bill incident to? Not sure though. Here in MA, I bill for PA's but depending on the insurance, I can bill incident to, or bill under them. Not sure if it matters who the patient really "belongs" to, persay. I think it depends on the circumstances and insurance....but I can't be sure. Sorry I couldn't have been more help!

Last edited: