Wiki NP post bari surgery

dackerman

New
Best answers
We have a NP who sees bariatric patients post surgery in a hospital wellness clinic. She has been billing 99211 for her visit but would like to be billing a higher level. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Why is she billing 99211? That code is for services that are ordered by providers but are performed by office staff at visits where the patient doesn't see a provider. The lowest level E/M code a provider should be using for a face-to-face visit would be 99212. But ultimately, the code is going to depend what service is performed and how it is documented. Without knowing more about what this NP is doing at these visits, it's really not possible to recommend any codes.

She is billing the 99211 for the hospital bill, she bills 99213 for the professional side. She meets with them to go over labs, takes blood pressure,
weighs them etc. They see a dietician for their diet.

I'm not following you at all. Why is she billing for the hospital? The hospital would normally do its own billing and have their own rules for charges based on resource utilization. And I don't understand why she wants to bill more than 99211 if that's for the hospital and not her own services.

As for the professional side, the code would be based on the documentation of each encounter. I wouldn't be able to tell you if that's right or wrong just from the limited information you have given here.