Wiki O20.9 versus O46.91

czumbrun

New
Best answers
I need some OB expert help. If a patient is diagnosed with antepartum hemorrhage at 10 weeks, should the code be O20.9 or O46.91? Documentation does not state "early pregnancy" but the patient's weeks of gestation are indicative of early pregnancy. I have done some research and can't really find any helpful info so I thought it would be a good idea to turn to the experts. Thanks for any help!

If you go through the description under O20.X series, it explains Early pregnancy as "Before completion of 20 weeks gestation". As per my understanding, any hemorrhage/bleeding (except documented Abortion) occurring before 20 weeks should be reported with O20.9 codes series. From 20th week of gestation till Delivery O46.91 is eligible to code.

If you go through the description under O20.X series, it explains Early pregnancy as "Before completion of 20 weeks gestation". As per my understanding, any hemorrhage/bleeding (except documented Abortion) occurring before 20 weeks should be reported with O20.9 codes series. From 20th week of gestation till Delivery O46.91 is eligible to code.

Thank you so much for your response! That is what I was thinking as well.