Wiki OB billing-OBGYN practice

arj707

New
Best answers
I am currently at a OBGYN practice and I am very new to billing OB. Can someone please help me out with how to bill out routine OB visits? A co worker has been doing OB billing for several years and she states that we need to bill 59426 with a zero charge for insurance documentation only, but we are having trouble getting zero charges to get through our clearinghouse. But everything that I am readiing just states only bill out the procedures that are being performed that day, hemoglobin, nsts, ultrasounds, urinalysis, etc. Someone please help.:confused::confused:

OB Billing

you do not need to bill for the routine office visits, you submit 1 charge when the patient delivers, you only submit charges when tests are performed

OB Billing

If this OB patient started with your practice, her prenatal, delivery and postpartum care are included in the global fee. Once she became an "OB" patient, you use code 99024 for prenatal visit at No Charge making sure that you do not submit "NNN" to insurance. If you are not changing your submission information when you input the codes, it will not get through the clearing house. You only submit charges for labs services, sono's, fetal non-stress tests, cord blood collection, circumcision, postpartum tubal ligation. Hope this helps!

I managed an OBGYN practice and we billed created 'dummy' codes for our OB patients with commercial plans. For example, 'APCARE' and 'PPCARE' with 0 charge amount. There should be a way in your system to stop them from being filed, just as you would do for a 99024. This way, you can run reports on these specific types of visits and you can easily keep track of how many visits each patient has had in case you have to end up billing for AP care only should the patient move/transfer.