Wiki Occupational Medicine Clinic

Wound Packing

We Had A Patient That Came In With A Open Wound To The Thigh. I Would Like To Know What I Charge For The Packing Of The Wound. We Only Pack The Wound. An I&d Was Never Done.

If the doctor applied sutures then you would choose a code from the appropriate section of "Suturing of (Superficial /Intermediate /Complex) Wounds" because packing is included in the procedure. Hope this helps.:)

PS: I could not send you a private message. States you have it turned off.

Since I don't have the documentation, I will say based on what you've explained, the only alternative would be an E/M charge. If the wound was not closed, this is what I would code. Good luck!:)

I'm taking a shot in the dark since I don't know the issues of the wound but what about 12021?

12021=MD treats a wound that is failing to heal properly. There has been a breakdown of the healing skin before or after suture removal. The skin margins have opened. Infection is evident with presence of pus. The MD cleanses the wound with irrigation and antimicrobial solutions. The wound is left open to drain from the wound. The skin closure will be delayed until the wound is no longer infected.