office visit and EKG to Medicare

gsharma

Best answers
Medicare is denying our EKG that was done with an office visit. Is ther a specific modifier that should be added to the EKG? I've worked OB/GYN for years new to Family Practice. thanks:)

my experience has been that they consider it bundled into the E/M. We would bill with 25 and 59

ekg

We are paid by Medicare when we bill E&M and EKG with no modifier, but we do put the ordering physicians name on the claim(referring provider on our software). Also, the diagnosis must meet medical necessity. For example, Medicare will not pay for an EKG for pre-op clearance.

Medicare is denying our EKG that was done with an office visit. Is ther a specific modifier that should be added to the EKG? I've worked OB/GYN for years new to Family Practice. thanks:)

What is the reason for the denial ? The Ekg should be sent in with a modifier 25, but also make sure that the diagnoses code is consistant with the procedure.

reason for ekg?

CMS chapter 12 section 30.6.2 addresses EKGs during a preventative medicine services stating

"procedures which are for screening for asymptomatic conditions are considered noncovered and therefore, no payment is made. Those procedures ordered to diagnose or monitor a symptom, medical condition or treatment are evaluated for medical necessity and, if covered, are paid."

http://www.cms.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf

Section also addresses furnishing a covered vist at the same place and on the same occasion as a noncovered preventative medicine service.

Does the documentation demonstrate the medical necessity of obtaining an EKG?

Last edited:
Ekg denials

We are a cardiac practice, we bill an E/M with modifier 25 and diagnostic EKG. The referring provider is our cardiologist. Claim is denied "referring provider is not eligible to refer these services:. We changed the referring provider to the PCP that sent the patient to our practice. Claim again denied for the same reason. Any suggestions. I thought you did not need a referring provider when the service was performed in your office.:confused::confused:

We are a cardiac practice, we bill an E/M with modifier 25 and diagnostic EKG. The referring provider is our cardiologist. Claim is denied "referring provider is not eligible to refer these services:. We changed the referring provider to the PCP that sent the patient to our practice. Claim again denied for the same reason. Any suggestions. I thought you did not need a referring provider when the service was performed in your office.:confused::confused:

Perhaps it is the qualifier you are using or lack of qualifier in field 17. And yes the referring physician field (17) needs to be populated even if performed in your office. That is why they created the qualifiers.