Wiki Oligohydramnios O41.00

Randalld

New
Best answers
When using the diagnosis above, the notes tell you the 7th character 0-9 for multiple gestations needs to be an additional code to specify the fetus involved. Plus and additional code from 030 for multiple gestation needs to be added also.

How do you code this when this is a problem that occured with a single gestation. There is no additional fetus.

Isn't it possible to have Oligohydramnios with only a single gestation?

O41.00

the second code O30 is used as an add-on code if it is a twin, triplet,or multiple gestations in pregnancy. you wouldn't use if for a singleton. (or unspecified)
the description says to use O30 when O41 has a 7th character of 1 thru 9. not 0 thru 9.

Someone asked this recently on another dx. I don't know much about OB/GYN and Maternity but it appears this will come up through many of the baby related codes

in my interpretation of the 7th digit box. IF it's only a single gestation or its unspecified its a 0. Multiple gestation will never end with a 0.

It then states the number is supposed to apply to the fetus with the issue. Its not asking how many of the fetuses are having the issue (how to keep track of which is which throughout the pregnancy, is not something I know).

Fetus 1 is always fetus 1 no matter what conditions it has or does not have
Fetus 2 is always fetus 2 no matter what conditions it has or does not have
Fetus 3 is always fetus 3 no matter what conditions it has or does not have
and so on

I'm not familiar with this condition and if it can affect just one of the gestations or if it affects all but this convention is used on other conditions that can affect one but not all of the fetuses

If fetus 1 has it and fetus 2 and 3 do not, Its O41.0XX1 If more than 1 fetus has it you would report the code more than once, each with a different 7th character.

It gets more complicated if there are multiple conditions and each fetus may have one but not the other. Fetus 1 has DX A, fetus 2 has DX B, fetus 3 has DX A and B. You may have to bill O41.XX1 & O41.XX3. If there is a Fetus 4-6 and they have no problems you wouldn't report any DX code for them

That's where code 030 comes in. Its used in the multiple gestation situations to help figure out how many fetuses there are in total. In my example above you wouldn't have known there is was a healthy Fetus 4, 5 or 6 without the add-on DX code