Wiki OON Patient responsibility

harts2976

Best answers
An office I work for is out of network with all insurances other than Medicare. We have no contracts with any commercial insurances. Is it our right to choose if we collect deductibles and copays?

Oon

I don't believe you can collect co-payments when you are not participating with the plan. Co-payments are normally only for participating providers and since you are out of network they would not apply. You will need to contact the plan for information on the out of network deduct. and if they apply and confirm with them on the co-payment issue. Hope this helps. :)

An office I work for is out of network with all insurances other than Medicare. We have no contracts with any commercial insurances. Is it our right to choose if we collect deductibles and copays?

Hi harts,

Several years ago when I was the front desk manager at a PCP office we were instructed copays could be accepted "as a courtesy" with OON insurance; however, this was affecting our revenue negatively. This office policy was changed. It's best to collect applicable payment in full at TOS. As far as your right on what to collect or not, I believe it's management's decision, but I would refer to your provider contract.

Lena