Wiki Ophthalmology coding credentials

cmmfeyen

Contributor
Best answers
I'm relatively new to the Ophthalmology field and I don't remember seeing this in the other specialties that I've worked in. Usually the specialty credentials I see are through AAPC or AHIMA. But, I've been seeing this organization AAO (American Academy of Ophthalmology) and they offer coding credentials thru their organization. Is this something that would be beneficial? Does anyone here have them? Are they recognized throughout the coding community? Thanks for your help!!!

Hello!
While I feel Ophthalmology as a specialty in general is a bit overlooked by the general population, AAPC recently did begin offering credentials for us that are widely recognized. The OCS and OCSR are widely recognized to those within our specialty if not so much in general and they are WELL WORTH IT. The major difference though is that you need to renew your AAO certification every 3 years. I have held the OCS for 13 yrs. The OCSR (retina specific) is very new and I have had that since its release...last year I think it was. I have no real concept of time anymore lol! Hope that helps.