• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Opinion on physicians supplying surgical cpt cpt codes

ORTHO1

New
Best answers
Need some opiniions. Is there an advantage of the surgeon (ortho) to supply the cpt codes? I had two that would give me the codes, but of course, I would still check for the unbundling issues and such. They knew what they did during the surgery. I have a new physician that doesn't. This is his first year out of residency. Should I have him to work up a "cheat sheet" for himself? I don't get the ops report and usually having to bill off the facesheet and try to read his small hand writing.
Thanks

PLAIDMAN

True Blue
Best answers
First of all there is no way I am coding a surgery without an operative report in front of me. I have my ortho docs tell me constantly they did a rotator cuff reconstruction, I read the op, 2 sutures in one tendon..... not reconstruction. He shouldn't make a cheat sheet he should get certified if he is coding his own stuff.

Sorry

JMeggett

Guru
Best answers
We have a new spine surgeon, 1st year out of residency, and he is very familiar with coding and gives me a list of the codes he wants and then I very carefully go over the Op note and verify that each procedure is done and adequately dictated. I would never code off of anything other than the Op note and having the surgeon give his code choices is a valuable tool. I highly recommend having a discussion with your new Doc to see if he could do this also. Then it's a team effort to catch everything that was done.

Jenna

ORTHO1

New
Best answers
Thanks Plaidman. I totally agree with you. Maybe the cheat sheet wasn't the correct wording to use. He's all fresh and new and thinks a few words will do it. I just wish I could get him to write better on his dx for the superbills.