• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten the password it can be reset on our sign in section by entering your registered Email Address or Username here. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..

Orthopedic Aftercare - If the doctor treated

If the doctor treated a patient for Palmar fascial fibromatisis (M72.0) and they were coming back for a follow up with no complains, no pain or infection, will Z47.89 (Encounter for other orthopedic aftercare) be the only code submitted? This is not curable problem, it is only treatable. My provider feels that we should code both diagnosis codes M72.0 & Z47.89. I am not clear on this due to it not being curable.
 
I kind of agree with putting both DX.... I have nothing to prove that that's right, but I bet that's what I would do in your situation. Especially if the problem is still there or not curable. I tried to put it into a different scenario... So if a patient comes in for tendonitis of their shoulder and get an injection. Then they come back for follow up and everythings great, no pain at at all... I would think the tendonitis code would be okay to use because there isn't a code for "resolved" issues or ICD-10 would be twice as big haha. So personally, I would used the M72.0, and then the Z code secondary if they've had surgery or something. Just my opinion though.
 
Top