Wiki ORTHOPEDIC SPINE SURGEON

Nena1418

New
Best answers
Please advise,

UHC has been denying our claims for L0637 with mod 57 as a global period for a surgery that what was preformed 3 day later. Any tips or advise anyone could give me

Thank you

UHC is denying codes L9900 and L0637 as a global period pt had a surgery done on 4 days later and the carrier is stating is a global period with the surgery??? I try resubmitting it with medical records but still came back denied.

I was looking at UHC global period policy to override the global period denial but it didnt work obviously, but I'm only having trouble with UHC ever other carrier pays for it

Any coding tips?

The 1st time it was submitted was with out a modifier and still denied for global period and I even send in the medicare records

Then ask United for their policy in writing that the L0637 orthosis is included with (CPT Code of Surgery), or any policy relating to that orthosis. If they cannot produce such a thing, tell them they can pay it or else you will bill the patient, who can fight it out with United. Usually getting the patient involved helps a seemingly helpless situation.

UHC REIMBURSEMENT POLICY
CMS-1500
Policy Number 2020 R0005C

Global Surgery applies in any setting,
including an inpatient hospital, outpatient hospital, Ambulatory Surgical Center
(ASC), and physician’s office. Visits to a patient in an intensive care or critical care unit are also included in the Global
Surgical Package if made by the surgeon.
There are three types of Global Surgical Packages based on the number of post
-
operative days.
Zero Day Post operative Period, (endoscopies and some Minor Procedures).

No preoperative period

No post
-
operative days

Visit on day of procedure is generally not payable as a separate service
-
day Post
-
operative Period
, (other Minor Procedures).

No preoperative period

Visit on day of the procedure is generally not payable as a separate service

Total global period is
11 days. Count the day of the surgery and 10 days following the day of the surgery
-
day Post
-
operative Period
(Major Procedures)

One day preoperative included

Day of the procedure is generally not payable as a separate service

Total global period is 92 days. Count 1 day before the day of the surgery, the day of surgery, and the 90 days
immediately following the day of surgery.
The payment rules for Global Surgical Packages apply to procedure codes with global surgery indicators of 000, 010,
090, and, sometimes, YYY.
While codes with “ZZZ” are surgical codes, they are add
-on codes that are always billed with another service. There is
no postoperative work included in the NPFS payment for the “ZZZ” codes. Payment is made for both the primary and
the add on codes, and the global period assigned is applied to the primary code