Wiki Outpatient Hospital Telehealth Billing

bucko

New
Best answers
I work on the hospital side and am trying to understand when one of our hospital based physicians performs a telehealth service, can the hospital bill the Q3014-Telehealth originating site facility fee? The patient would be at home and our physician would be making contact from the outpatient hospital based clinic. I've read all the latest and greatest bulletins and am still confused. Help!

The originating site fee is typically paid to the rural clinic/hospital where the patient presents for their remote visit and is meant to serve as a reimbursement to that facility for "rooming" the patient and for the use of their telecommunications equipment. As the patient is at home for the service, there is no longer an "originating site" and so it would not be appropriate to bill Q3014 in the scenario described above.

Can you tell me how the claim is coded in relation to the diagnosis. Does the diagnosis need to correlate with what the physician is coding? I work at a SNF and we are just getting into billing for the originating site fee. Thanks!