Wiki Pain Pump Refill Question

lcole7465

Expert
Best answers
We have a patient the doctor did a catheter patent test and aspirated all the medication out of the pain and performed a refill with the same medication that was aspirated and removed from the pump. Since he's refilling with the same medication that was withdrawn from the pump, this wouldn't qualify as an actual refill (CPT 62370) would it?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Yes I believe are three codes are applicable in this situation such 61070 75809 62370. The reason I say it applies as refill/reprogramming is that it is common to have to abstract medicine from the pump and place it back and reprogram. The removal and replacement then reprogramming of pump with the same solution still constitutes a "refill" CPT per Medtronics reimbursement support when I inquired regarding removing the contents of the pump and replacing prior to a MRI. For the hospital, whether it is soley reprogramming or whether it is a refill they are paying at the same APC. For the physician side, the work involved of removing contents of pump and then refill the pump would meet the RVU of placing new medicine at a scheduled refill. This my interpretation and opinions could vary.