Wiki parastomal wound exploration

DVoyles

Best answers
:confused: My surgeon did an open exploration of a urostomy and I can't find even a generic code for an open stoma exploration...help...Here's his description:

The area medial to the urostomies were prepped w/ Betadine and draped w/ sterile towels and drapes. A vertical incision was made. Dissection was carried down into the parastomal space, no fluid collection was present both superiorly and inferiorly to the urostomies, I explored in this space w/ no evidence of fluid collection. This most likely represents a spontaneous decompression of fluid collection, probably internally and nothing further was needed. The wound was closed w/ a running 4-0 nylon and covered w/ a sterile dressing. The urostomy apparatus was replaced.​

I'm not very familiar with this type of procedure, but I did come across 50600 which mentions exploration or drainage. Is this right or am I way off base?

I appreciate it, but unfortunately this code is for a Ureterotomy and is for exploration or drainage of the ureter.;)