Wiki Pars Fracture

JoannaParz

Contributor
Best answers
Hello all,

I have a case where my physician is billing CPT 22325 for treatment of a pars fracture, would this be medically necessary for this type of fracture.
I understand the CPT 22325 is to treat a vertebral body fracture or dislocation? if so, is the pars fracture part of that?

He also wants to bill a Laminectomy (63047) along with this open fracture treatment, does anyone have any info on this being unbundled even when done at the same level?

thank you!

In regards to the Laminectomy with an open treatment-that is bundled so you wouldn't be able to separate bill that.

In regards to the par fracture treatment I would ask the provider if he is actually reducing the fracture of just fusing the patient. My providers have treated fractures like this, or minimal or stable fractures with just a fusion and not "reducing" the fracture.

Normally the reduction is done if its an unstable fracture or there are fragments or spine cord compression.

A pars FX is still a Vertebral fracture, so I would. I also do all Spinal coding for the practice I work at and that's what I think for the 22325.

I got this off google :A pars fracture occurs when the bony pars interarticularis breaks. This type of spinal fracture causes spondylolisthesis; a forward slip or slide of one vertebral body over the one beneath.Sep 9, 2019