Wiki partial vs complete bowel obstruction

salindarose

Best answers
Are we able to infer that a small bowel obstruction partial if the patient is having bowel movements? The provider only states small bowel obstruction.

I don't think so. The bowel movements could be from the material that collected in the large intestine from the point of obstruction to the rectum. What test confirmed the obstruction? Is there a specific diagnosis from the doctor who read the raw data and made the diagnosis?

I don't think so. The bowel movements could be from the material that collected in the large intestine from the point of obstruction to the rectum. What test confirmed the obstruction? Is there a specific diagnosis from the doctor who read the raw data and made the diagnosis?
The surgeon is the one I am coding for and he can never seem to remember that there is now a code for partial and complete. The CT report states "Suspect the moderate to high-grade partial distal small bowel obstruction". This is an Observation encounter.

Well then, surgeon needs to make the decision in this case. I'd give a simple email "partial or complete?" since that report is not definitive.
Maybe radiology needs to be educated on their terminology use and use the same lingo the surgeons have to use?

Ya know, that CT needed to also note the presence/abscence of bowel contents immediately following the "suspected obstruction" IMO. :)

Well then, surgeon needs to make the decision in this case. I'd give a simple email "partial or complete?" since that report is not definitive.
Maybe radiology needs to be educated on their terminology use and use the same lingo the surgeons have to use?

Ya know, that CT needed to also note the presence/abscence of bowel contents immediately following the "suspected obstruction" IMO. :)
Good thing I don't code for the radiologist! lol Thanks for your help 🙂