Wiki Pediatric behavioral health coding educational materials

TTcpc

Guru
Best answers
Hello everyone,

I work with a pediatric multi-specialty group that also has behavioral/mental health services via psychologist/psychiatrists and soon to also include LCSW in our Pediatric Cancer Center group as well as a Developmental group and genetic counseling. I have never had the opportunity to work with behavioral/mental health coding/billing before and am looking for some good resources to learn. One of my big items is deciding when it might be more appropriate to use the behavioral health codes versus E/M codes for our psychiatrists and psychologists. We outsource our actual coding reviews and having worked with them in the past, I'm concerned that we might need to review what the providers as well as the coders have been taught in the past so that we're all in compliance and in sync with each other.

Anything you might be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Tracey

Hello everyone,

I work with a pediatric multi-specialty group that also has behavioral/mental health services via psychologist/psychiatrists and soon to also include LCSW in our Pediatric Cancer Center group as well as a Developmental group and genetic counseling. I have never had the opportunity to work with behavioral/mental health coding/billing before and am looking for some good resources to learn. One of my big items is deciding when it might be more appropriate to use the behavioral health codes versus E/M codes for our psychiatrists and psychologists. We outsource our actual coding reviews and having worked with them in the past, I'm concerned that we might need to review what the providers as well as the coders have been taught in the past so that we're all in compliance and in sync with each other.

Anything you might be able to suggest would be greatly appreciated!

Tracey

Hi Tracey,

I don' t know if your aware of this or not but the AAPC offers a Behavioral Health Coding Training Course. Maybe the course would be helpful and something to look into?