Wiki peds coder

Best answers
new to coding and have lots of catch up to do for the office. If claims are denied for timely filing do I have to write them off; doc says we can bill the patient. I didnt think that could be done. Help!

You have to write these off for Medicaid, and probably for other managed care plans. You will have to review what your contracts state for commercial carriers. It is in your best interest to review contract language for your top ten carriers anyway. This way you can pass on the detail to your doctor(s).

timely filing denials

new to coding and have lots of catch up to do for the office. If claims are denied for timely filing do I have to write them off; doc says we can bill the patient. I didnt think that could be done. Help!

Hi Marsha-
My feelings on this are that if you are receiving timely filing denials simply because the office is so backlogged that claims were not sent out in time, you have to write these off. It wouldn't be fair to bill the patient for the office's shortcomings, whatever the reason may be. If you get a timely filing denial for a claim that the patient was late in getting the insurance info to you, then it's the patient's fault and I would bill them. I hope this helps!