Wiki PEG tube placement - Does anyone have any information

TWinsor

Guru
Best answers
Does anyone have any information regarding placement of the PEG tube, specifically when the physician does not go into the duodenum/jejunum? We are discussing whether to use the -52 modifier if they physician only goes to the stomach.

If anyone knows of something in writing please let me know.

TIA

First of all, 43246 states with examination of duodenum and/or jejunum as appropriate.

Second, the intended extent of the procedure is the stomach, so I don't think you need the -52 modifier.

Any GI coders have an opinion?

AND duodenum

Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy including esophagus, stomach, and either the duodenum and/or jejunum as appropriate; with directed placement of percutaneous gastrostomy tube

Our compliance department is stuck on the word "and" (as I've highlighted above). Their position is that to complete the procedure you must examine esophagus, stomach and duodenum and/or jejunum. So if they stop in the stomach we add a -52 modifier.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

I'm not sure I agree that the "and" is the questionable word in this code descriptor. I think the "as appropriate" is more questionable. In all the lay term descriptions I've looked at for code 43246 the provider is described as only going into the stomach and there is no reference to either the duodenum or the jejunum. I bet you could argue the heck out of this one!

V Davis CPC, CGIC