Wiki Pessary Question

missyah20

Guru
Best answers
Hey All -
One of my providers is having issues with patient's being seen for a pessary fitting. The pessary is then ordered, but before the patient returns to be fitted they subsequently decide to go the surgery route which leaves my provider with the cost of the pessary and she is unable to return it.

Is there anything we can do to combat this loss?

Thank you!

We keep a variety of sizes and different types in stock. We always do the fitting and insertion at the same time. Also, for the patient that decided on surgery, you can keep the pessary on hand for another patient since it did not get opened. Also, when your provider is discussing the plan of care with the patient, maybe determine how interested the patient is for surgery at that time before ordering the pessary.

We keep a variety of sizes and different types in stock. We always do the fitting and insertion at the same time. Also, for the patient that decided on surgery, you can keep the pessary on hand for another patient since it did not get opened.
Thanks. I was going to suggest to her to keep them on hand for another patient.

In my experience, most practices go one of two routes (usually dependent on how many/how often pessaries are ordered).
1) Very small volume. Fit pessary, then provide patient with rx or order (either shipped to patient or office). DME company supplies pessary. Patient returns for insertion. Practice bills fitting & insertion. DME company bills A4561/A4562.
2) Larger volume. Practice will keep a variety of sizes and types in stock. Patient is fitted and provided pessary same day. Practice bills for fitting & insertion as well as A4561/A4562.