Wiki PHQ9 vs Beck Depression Inventory Tool

IzumiTM

New
Best answers
I have a new physician starting at our clinic who utilizes the Beck Depression Inventory Tool when doing depression screenings. Our seasoned providers use the PHQ9 (Patient Health Questionnaire) form. What is the difference and is there a CMS guideline stating one is preferred more than the other? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

I have a new physician starting at our clinic who utilizes the Beck Depression Inventory Tool when doing depression screenings. Our seasoned providers use the PHQ9 (Patient Health Questionnaire) form. What is the difference and is there a CMS guideline stating one is preferred more than the other? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

PHQ9 form objectifies and assess degrees of depression and is popular as a screening tool. The BDI is a much older tool but if that is what your new physician is using, maybe check policy and procedure of the clinic to see if there is a policy that can be discussed about tools used to screen patients. I am sure there would be some standard since there are groups such as children, teens and adults; male/female.

I did not find any CMS guidance specific to your question. Sensitivity can be affected when provider does not use the best tool for screening depression based on the subject.

Good Luck!