Wiki Physical Therapy + Chiro Billing Software

Billing500

Networker
Best answers
What's everyone using?
We're contemplating migrating from Medics Premier to Kareo for these specialties.

Any suggestions??

I am not in your specialty, but I despise Kareo with the passion of the fire of a thousand burning suns.

Uhh, can you tell I don't like it? We are in the process of migrating to another software. Kareo's support is horrid. If a customer service rep can't figure it out, they tell you that you are the problem, and you can send in a "feature request" for whatever you want to happen. Not that your feature request will ever be implemented.

You can never talk to an actual support person, as far as I can tell, just a call center person. For instance, I called in because one of their reports was not showing an accurate total (this is their own report - you cannot customize reports beyond a few, built-in options). I got so frustrated I asked the guy if he had ever worked in a doctor's office (no), if he had ever taken an accounting class (no), if he regularly balanced his checkbook (no)... then maybe, just MAYBE the fact that he was talking to someone who had a freaking degree with dual majors in both COMPUTER PROGRAMMING and in ACCOUNTING should mean that I knew what in the bleep I was talking about! Response? Put in a feature request. It was not a FEATURE, it was an INACCURATE TOTAL! AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

One time I explained my problem, was then put on hold for 20 minutes, only to have them come back and tell me what the problem was... in the very same words I had used to tell them!

Okay, deep breath. I'm okay now.

They have no built-in ledgers for patients. You cannot print a report showing charges, payments, adjustments, with the information for those. You CAN print something that shows the totals, like this: 6/1/2020 - Charge 150, Adjustment 70, Payment 80. But not who paid it, the date, the check number, etc.

You cannot print a list of patient payments, for instance for their taxes, at the end of the year. I finally starting just taking screen shots and printing those.

They have an excel add-in that you can pull data to manipulate it. However, you cannot pull from more than one area at a time. For instance, you cannot pull data from the patient table and from the payments table at the same time. So if you want a report that shows how much money your Anthem patients have paid in copays and deductibles, you cannot do that. It would take some extensive work in excel to first pull your Anthem patients, then separately pull payments for a certain amount of time, then cross reference them to keep on the ones you want. You have to be very, very good at excel, or a programmer, to do these things.

This is eye-opening, Sharon. Thanks for sharing your experience. I plan to request a demonstration whereby our office can actual run through some mock charge posting and report running. I hate investing $$ into our current software (which is not innovating new features), but I may have to!

This is eye-opening, Sharon. Thanks for sharing your experience. I plan to request a demonstration whereby our office can actual run through some mock charge posting and report running. I hate investing $$ into our current software (which is not innovating new features), but I may have to!

Charge posting is pretty smooth for us, but payment posting is a mixed bag. For electronic payments from primary insurance, no problem, but if the electronic payment is from a secondary, it will try to back adjust everything, leaving the patient owing hundreds of dollars. You can override that, but again, when I called, I was told "feature request". I finally figured it out myself. When you're looking at the transaction from the secondary to approve it, you wipe out the allowed amount, wipe out the adjusted amount, click in the payment field (where the payment amount is already showing correctly), then hit tab. Then it will just apply the payment and not try to back adjust everything. Once I finally figured it out, it's no big deal. But it was no end of frustrating until then. Here is what I mean:

I would ask them to show you how to run a report with just one particular patient's payments, in a list (and if they can, heck, come back and tell me where they hid this feature, because they tell me it cannot be done without going to the excel add-in).

And ask them to show you how to print a ledger for a single patient, showing the payments posted with detail, like this:

5/1/2020 99205, New Patient..................................................... $500.00
......................5/15/2020 Payment by Anthem ch 123456...................... -125.00
......................5/15/2020 Adjustment by Anthem ch 123456................ -300.00
..................................Balance due from patient.......................................................................$75.00

5/19/2020 99212, Establ Patient..................................................... $200.00
......................6/15/2020 Payment by Anthem ch 123457...................... -50.00
......................6/15/2020 Adjustment by Anthem ch 123457................ -100.00
..................................Balance due from patient.......................................................................$50.00

Total Patient Balance.................................................................................................................$125.00

They will likely tell you they can't do it, and it will look like this, which is okay if that is what you want, but not okay when you need to send a detailed ledger to a patient, or to their attorney, or whatever the case may be:

Anyway, I could go on about this forever (as if you couldn't tell already!).