Wiki Pigtail Catheter for temporary placement

gaynor64

Contributor
Best answers
My provider uses a pigtail catheter - used to get up and over the bifurcation temporary, to place heavy wire for a long straight or Bernstein catheter to the select arteries of lower leg. The pigtail is removed and not working catheter. Would this pigtail be coded and considered non-selective since a catheter was eventually placed in the SFA

Provider is billed 36246 and 36247 and getting and EDIT. I believe that only one CPT 36247 should be used since catheter is at the third order and non-selective is inclusive with selective if performed.

Am I thinking correctly on this
Thanks
G

My provider uses a pigtail catheter - used to get up and over the bifurcation temporary, to place heavy wire for a long straight or Bernstein catheter to the select arteries of lower leg. The pigtail is removed and not working catheter. Would this pigtail be coded and considered non-selective since a catheter was eventually placed in the SFA

Provider is billed 36246 and 36247 and getting and EDIT. I believe that only one CPT 36247 should be used since catheter is at the third order and non-selective is inclusive with selective if performed.

Am I thinking correctly on this
Thanks
G

You can only code for how far the catheter goes. Coding 36247 includes 36246, 36245 and 36200.
HTH,
Jim Pawloski, R.T. (R)(CV), CIRCC