Wiki Placenta Diagnosis

annettebec

Networker
Best answers
Placenta: Acute chorioamnionitis, intervillous thrombus, 2 vessel cord wityh funisitis, and atypical chorionic villi. Sencond trimester. What ICD10 would you assign? Any help appreciated

Hi annettebec,
I'll try to help okay; from your statement some of the findings you stated seem to be integral to the O41.122 (chorioamnionitis, second trimester). Please do not assign Q27.0 for single umbilical artery to the mother's record. This pathology is being billed from the mother not the baby. Anything you bill has to be maternal related (dealing with Mom) not the baby so please be cognizant. The two vessel cord I would be alright assigning O43.192. It isn't perfect but it is up to coder interpretation on proper diagnosis assignment. Some refer to this scenario ALSO as a "lesion" and O69.89 may be more appropriate. It would be at the coder's interpretation on what is appropriate.
From my reviews on the forums there have been plenty of OB posts that OB codes in ICD 9 were more specific then ICD 10. I'm not here to judge, just provide "my personal opinion" and if anyone doesn't agree with my advice ~ please state so alright.
Have a wonderful evening,
Dana Chock, CPC, CANPC, CHONC, CPMA, CPB, RHIT